Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Countdown Has Begun

Well, I talked with CINCHOUSE yesterday about the details of my upcoming deployment. It hit her hard ... before Friday, it was off in the realm of speculative, "maybe it'll happen." Friday's two-hour pre-deployment brief brought it into focus, the reality is setting in. I've got two weeks of training ... one a generic pre-deployment course, the other titled "Individual Protective Measures Training," which includes qualifying on Beretta and Sig Sauer 9mm handguns. M4 qualification is done separately.

Then I have to clear the physical and psych screenings. Shouldn't be a big problem there, as long as my dentist can fix a couple teeth that need crowns before my deployment date. The worst part? Getting immunizations and having blood drawn. Living in a crappy environment, possibly in a tent, and eating bad food prepared by the Brits who run the mess halls is one thing. Coming face to face to a hypodermic needle is quite another.

More to follow as I work my way down the road to Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment