Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dodged that Bullet!

There’s a good reason this has been a quiet week for Wirehead Jack. Last weekend, I started getting headaches across my temples, and intermittent pain around my left jaw. This went on, getting more and more frequent, until Thursday I finally went to sick call at the hospital. The doc, an Air Force captain, checked me out, gave me some big-ass Ibuprofens, and told me to come back on Saturday when the dentist would be back. In the meantime, my head continued to throb, despite the pills.

Saturday morning arrived, and I faced up to my greatest fear … dentists. Nothing wrong with my teeth, thank God. I was oh-so-relieved to hear the diagnosis of Temporo-Mandibular Joint Disorder, alternately referred to as TMJ or TMD. It’s largely caused by clenching or grinding one’s teeth, usually at night. I tried staying up once to see if I could catch myself grinding my teeth, but didn’t notice anything.

So anyhow, he gave me more pills … more big-ass Ibuprofens and some Tylenol, told me to manage my stress and don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. So I find myself doing jaw stretches, trying to stretch the muscles in my jaw and face. Not quite as bad as before, but it’s still there. So at least I can return my thoughts to you, gentle readers of this blog.

It’s been pretty quiet here at IDC. Ken is firmly in the saddle here in the KM shop, and I’m kind of hanging out waiting to check in at the new job on Monday morning. I’m occupying my time prepping for the new job and doing some short-suspense stuff here. I don’t want to engage any long-term projects and then have to do a hand-off.

One bright spot this past week … I discover the NKAIA Herf on Thursday night. Seems that every Thursday at 1900 (that’s 7PM), a bunch of people, mostly centered on staff types from the Army National Guard’s 29th Infantry Division, gather at a cluster of benches outside the hospital and fired up. I brought along a Padilla 1932 toro, which had been gifted to me earlier in the week. A nice smoke, a little spicy, medium-bodied. Next week (or should I say “this coming week?”), I’ll bring the travel-dor with some smokes to share. I’m sure SOMEBODY wants that Acid I picked up at last year’s Little Puff … I’ll also be sure to get some photos on Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. "Seems that every Thursday at 1900 (that’s 7PM), a bunch of people, mostly centered on staff types from the Army National Guard’s 29th Infantry Division, gather at a cluster of benches outside the hospital and fired up."

    Ironic that there is more liberty in Afganistan than NYC where you will soon be ticketed for smoking in a park or the beach.

    ReplyDelete