Thursday, June 16, 2011

Should I Feel Like This?

I'm torn ... confused.  Let me provide the back story.

We're short on rooms here, and I've got a roommate for a few days.  He snores like a freakin' chainsaw.  I snore.  I know that.  I've had peasants chasing me with torches and pitchforks for keeping the livestock awake all night with my snoring.  So I feel a little hypocritical for being annoyed at the cacaphony above me (he's in the top bunk).

It's this bad ... I'm trying to read Bridge of Sighs by Olen Steinhauer.  It's a murder mystery set in an unnamed Soviet satellite state in 1948.  Very grim, very eerie, but excellent, evocative writing.  But I can't focus.  So I stuff the ear buds in, crank up some Crimson on the trusty iPod.  I lead in with Sleepless from the Absent Lovers live CD.  I love the rhythm line, the way the drums and Chapman Stick play off each other.

The snoring rattles through.  Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part 2, serious heavy guitar work,from a 1995 live performance during Crimson's double trio years.  But I hear more than music.  And I'm not talking about F-16s taking off.

Finally, continuing that 1995 concert in Chicago, we get to Red, originally released in 1982,but still featuring the original guitarists, Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.  And finally, prog rock hard enough to drown out the racket.  Frame By Frame continues the blessed relief.

Hope I've got a good charge on the iPod's battery ...

Good night, dear friends and gentle readers.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how long it would take for that comment to show up ...

    ReplyDelete