Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Bloom is Off the Rose

After three weeks here at BAF, the novelty of the DFAC has worn off.  I’m not sure what I was thinking, but I opted for the crab cake at dinner tonight.  Either that or “prime rib.”  I thought I was going for the lesser of two evils.

Yeah, right.  I should have filled up on salad.

There might have been some canned crabmeat in the deep-fried concoction, which was probably 75-80% breading or bread-like filler.  So just to make it a meal worth remembering, I got some hush puppies and fried onion rings.  A battered deep-fried extravaganza.  Yummy!  So I ate a little bit, then went back to the KAIA mode of pushing the food around my plate and grabbed some fresh fruit.

I’ve been finding it easier to eat a bunch of fresh fruit at breakfast (followed by a MOAC at Green Bean), skip lunch (or maybe snarf an orange or two), then grab some dinner.  Two meals a day is plenty.

But after tonight, I can safely say that O’Leary’s is on the list for dinner very soon after I get home.  I want one of those all-crabmeat crab cakes, the ones with no filler or breading that are held together by sheer willpower.

But wait, sports fans, there's more.  After my fun-meter had pegged, I left the office to head back to my room, and decided to tackle some ironing that I'd been neglecting since my last laundry day.  (You didn't know I was so domestic, did you?)  No sooner am I working on the sleeves of a shirt than I hear three explosions in short order.  What's going on, I ask myself.  Then the alarm.  We came under Indirect Fire (IDF) attack tonight.  Air raid sirens, orders to shelter in place, the whole nine yards.  Finally, sometime after 9PM, we got the all-clear.
And all I can think of right now is yelling, "Give it up, maggots, Osama's still dead!  He sleeps with the fishes!  Tonight and every night."

At least the bastards didn't take out the Internet ... then I'd REALLY have been pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment