Thursday, May 5, 2011

Feeling Right at Home

Daytime temperatures lately have been hovering around the 90-degree mark.  Fahrenheit, that is.  It doesn’t seem all that long ago that I was bundling up in my PolarTek jacket, but not anymore.  And the nights aren’t so chilly either.  We seem to have skipped through Spring (oops, I blinked and missed it!) and leapt straight from Winter to Summer.  Just like DC.  And, just like DC, the weather here in August has been described as “oppressive.”  Makes me glad I’m gettin’ the hell out of Dodge in the first half of August.  Just like Washingtonians and Parisians in August, I’ll be one of the cool people who’s out of town on vacation.

Then there's another aspect of feeling at home.  Drive-by shootings.  Not that we have many of those in Annapolis, but in the DC Metro area, they're not all that uncommon.  We had another rocket today in the mid-afternoon.  Another shelter-in-place.  If we take a few more of these things, I might actually feel like I'm earning my hazardous duty pay.

1 comment:

  1. Hey John -- Thinking of you and wishing you were here. Today was the Blessing of the Fleet and we sent a good wish out to you. Beautiful day. This blog is really good -- we enjoy it -- keep up the good work. Cheers -- Nancy

    ReplyDelete