Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Word

I learned a new word last week.

“Narmy.”  A proper noun.  Def:  a U.S. sailor in a joint command, wearing Army camouflage.  As in a sailor, a petty officer first class, working a security gig at the Detention Facility.  After emptying my pockets and going through the metal detector, I spoke briefly with him, and asked him how he liked his tour.  All he said was, “I’m in the Narmy now.”

That’s right, I was in the prison last week.  Not as an inmate, or visiting an inmate, just getting a tour and an info briefing.  It was an eye-opening experience for me, as I realized the depth and sophistication of the all-source intelligence process that goes on there.  The interaction of tactical and strategic intelligence collection and analysis there is huge, and talking with some of the analysts at times really makes me regret moving from analysis into the IT world.  These analysts, working with information gleaned through prisoner interviews, are the ones on the cutting edge, providing current intelligence to put the bad guys away.

Then there were the lawyers.  Yep, we provide IT support to the legal beagles too.  As I toured the legal office, my skin started crawling.  It was a big room, maybe 40 by 40 feet, desks butting up against each other, filled with military lawyers and enlisted legal support staff.  Defense lawyers too.  I hate defense lawyers.  Whether they’re defending violent miscreants or sex offenders or crooked hedge fund managers or Taliban fighters, they’re all scum and vermin.  Boy was I glad when that part of the visit was done.  Hope I didn’t beat too much of a hasty retreat.

But my discomfort was counter-balanced by a great meal.  The detention facility has two DFACs, one a conventional food line operation and the other is a barbecue tent.  I had my choice of ribs, brisket, chicken, sausage, all the traditional sides … the only down side was not being able to wash it all down with a cold beer.  Oh well, soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. What makes the American justice system the best in the world is that we are committed to the premise that even scum like that is entitled to a fair trial.

    ReplyDelete