Thursday, February 17, 2011

Settling In

17 February
Well, here it is, my fourth in-theater and in-country, and I've only now come up for air. Monday was a full-tilt travel and indoc day, flying from Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar to Bagram. Tuesday morning, after a very short night in transient quarters, I caught a flight on a Dehavilland Dash-8 turbo-prop to KAIA North, my new home. I was met upon arrival by the man I'll be relieving,. LTC Bill Eger. He's ready to go, after six months here, and he hasn't been able to wipe the smile from his face.
First off, we stowed my gear next to his bunk. In a tent. Yup, I'm living in a tent. Interesting thing, I've heard nothing but negatives about the more permanent quarters ... more cramped, less room, still a 50-foot walk to the head, but I found out my first night that little trip sucks at midnight in the middle of February in Afghanistan.
Enough about bodily functions. Looks like I'll be taking over as Chief of the Knowledge Management Cell within the Information Dominance Center at IJC, the ISAF Joint Command. A very intense, very fluid operation. And I'll have very demanding Army overseers wanting more and more. I've got two more days of turnover, then I'm flying solo. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment