Thursday, April 28, 2011

Another Date with Destiny

Steadfast readers will no doubt recall my incessant whining a few weeks ago bout jaw problems that were diagnosed at Kabul as TMJ Disorder.  Not so fast, Ethel.  I left out big chunks of the story, in deference to my readership's delicate senses.

Two days after landing here at Bagram, I underwent a root canal procedure.  According to the dentist, there was a big-time infection under the tooth. So he cleaned it out in a procedure called a pulpectomy, and told me it ought to last until I got home, when I'd need a full-tilt root canal.

Last night, the jaw went from bad to worse very rapidly.  I went to dental today, and mere minutes after getting more X-Rays, the doc was numbing me up.  I'll be coming home from Afghanistan minus one tooth.  The abscess had returned with a vengeance, and extraction was the only option.

So now I get to eat soft foods for a couple days, nothing spicy, nothing very hot (so much for my big-ass morning bucket of coffee), and no smoking.  No cigars?!?  Tell me, doc, what can I do to ease my pain and discomfort?  Oh, Percocet.  Okay, your opiates trump my stogies.

After facing up to the Novocain needles, the worst part of the procedure was having a tooth yanked b an Army dentist around my daughter's age.  That was truly scary.

Well, friends, I'd love to sit and chat, but it's time for more pain pills.  See ya!

1 comment:

  1. Opiates in Afganyland? Oh the irony.

    Did you put it under the pillow to get some dinars?

    ReplyDelete