Friday, April 15, 2011

Chow

So, I’ve been here at Bagram for a week.  The consensus is that the food is VASTLY better than in Kabul.  There are at least six DFACs here on BAF, each with its own “personality.”  While still exhibiting the shortfalls of Army chow, cooked on a large scale for thousands of diners per meal, I get the sense these guys care more about what they serve up.  Maybe it’s because Army mess cooks are dishing it up for a largely Army “clientele.”  Maybe it’s because they don’t have KBR UK cutting corners and buying crap ingredients to start with.

But they even do theme nights.  Last night was Italian food night, with pasta, chicken parmesan, and the usual cast of characters (including fried mozzarella).  Not great, but not offensive, as would have been the case in KAIA.  Last Sunday (okay, every Sunday) was Soul Food Sunday.  Fried chicken, fried pork chops, fried catfish (do you see a common thread here?) and collard greens.  Bad for the cholesterol, but it’s only once a week, right?

Tonight was the piece de resistance … Friday is Surf and Turf night.  Not the best lobster tail I’ve ever had, but not too bad either.  I skipped the turf part and had some fried shrimps alongside the lobster.

Overall, I’m glad I did the initial part of my deployment in Kabul, it helped me jump-start the weight loss.  I’ve dropped something in the 15-20 pound range so far.  Over the next four months, I need to keep that off and drop another 10 or so, bringing my total loss to around 30 pounds.  That’s my goal. 

1 comment:

  1. Soul food Sunday? Now that's something to look forward to. Enjoy your smokes.

    ReplyDelete