Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pumping Iron

The title of this post doesn’t refer to the 1977 body-building documentary featuring, among others, Arnold Schwarznegger and Lou Ferrigno.  Rather, I’m talking about my own feeble efforts at getting back into the weight room.

After my work schedule (otherwise known here as a Battle Rhythm) settled into something predictable, I headed to the gym (actually, two tents run end-on-end) and puttered without a real plan.  Not gonna work, I told myself, so I researched some circuit weight training routines and got at it today.  Holy crap!

I knew I was out of shape, but today was a real eye-opener.  Long gone are the glory days of lifting in college and on active duty.  I worked out with relatively low weights, aiming for high reps to tone my muscles rather than high weight/low reps for bulk.  I did about 75% of a single circuit, rather than two full circuits, and my arms are so tired, I’m not sure I’d have the strength to pull up my zipper.  Thank God for gym shorts with elastic waistbands.

After this reality check, my first goal is to complete a full circuit.  Hope this doesn’t take longer than a week.  The program recommends doing the circuit twice a week, so I’ll rest tomorrow and Thursday, then get back at it on Friday.  And if I can keep up this routine, I’ll be a jib-trimming monster on the Wahini.

2 comments:

  1. Elastic waistbands and Wicked trimmer LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get after it while deployed! Best wishes for success, and being "restricted to base" is a great opportunity. Set a big goal and find some guys to workout with.

    John
    http://creationfitness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete