Friday, July 8, 2011

Back to the Old Me


The kinder, gentler John of the previous post is gone.  I left him in my hooch this afternoon.

Around lunch time, I went back to my room to retrieve something.  What is was, I can’t remember anymore.  When I got up to leave, the doorknob was jammed.  The door would not open.

I tried everything, including brute force, but to no avail.  So I raised the window as far as it would go (not very), popped out the screen, and wedged my big behind slowly, painfully out the window.  My 56-year-old body was not meant to bend in those directions.  After getting out and dusting myself off, I tried to unlock the door from the outside.  No joy.

When I got back to the office, I asked around for the phone number for the facilities service & maintenance office.  “Why?” they asked.  I told them, and in the process became the cause of the most amusement they’ve had in days.  “Good thing you lost those 30 pounds, huh, John?”  Or maybe, “I didn’t know people over 50 could bend like that.”  Buncha friggin’ jackals …

I had left the office for my room after my TS e-mail account crashed yet again, it’s been Tango Uniform for the better part of the past three days.  This has not been a very good day for me so far.

So welcome back, my friends, to the cranky old curmudgeon you’ve come to know and love these past few months.  Maybe I'll have another meal at the DFAC that tastes like buttered ass to make my experience complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment