Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Late Fireworks


The little bastards did it, they made a liar out of me.

Last night, in my Fourth of July post, I noted that we hadn’t been treated to a fireworks display by the Taliban.  Wouldn’t you know it, around 2:30 AM, the fireworks started, accompanied by base-wide alarms and the Big Voice telling us to shelter in place.  I found out about it this morning.  Apparently, the NCOIC went everyone’s room to do his accountability check, but the Lunesta let me sleep through both the IDF attack and a sergeant banging on my door.  Later this morning, I sheepishly told him about my insomnia and the medication that puts me in a coma for six hours every night, so now he’ll understand why he can’t roust me.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday ... I finally shaved of the goatee.  Got tired of being the "graybeard" of DIA Systems.  And as I looked at the whiskers coming off my face, I realized yet again that I truly WAS the graybeard, figuratively and literally.  Here's a current pic of me, sans beard, with the  roast we cooked yesterday.



I’m still getting kudos for yesterday’s rib-eye roast.  And I’m still amazed at my dumb-ass luck in getting it properly done (and not overcooked) using a little bit of educated guesswork.  It’s got me all fired up to go home and do some real cooking, with real ingredients and real equipment and utensils.

Which reminds me … I’ll be catching a flight out of here in about 38 days.  Not that I’m counting or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment