Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

So here it is, the Fourth of July,  By and large, another work day for us in DIA Systems.  We did, however, manage to celebrate a little bit.

First off, we got our hands on a monster rib-eye roast.  I put it on the scales at the warehouse, it dressed out at just over 13 pounds.  We contrived to borrow a grill, and I made plans to cook it using the indirect heat method.  So we fired up the coals at 11AM, planning to sear the meat, then move it to the cool side, close the lid, and cook away.

Before we could do that, however, it had to thaw out.  It was frozen solid, like a very cold, very heavy brick.  I took it out two days in advance and did most of the thawing in the fridge in my room, although I had to leave it sitting out on occasion to speed the thaw.  This, of course, led to numerous double entendres about going back to my room to check on the meat.  Yeah, I know, we're a bunch of crude pigs.

Working without a net (or, more precisely, an instant-read thermometer), and juggling multiple dishes all being prepared on the grill (including Carmen's most excellent Mexican rice, green beans and pork 'n' beans), along with a pile of T-Bones, the roast came out great!  Medium to medium-rare, but not overdone by any stretch of the imagination.  Everyone became as carnivore as I carved thick slabs of surprisingly tender prime rib.  Carmen's side dishes also vanished.  All that was missing was the beer.

And the fireworks.  Then again, we were grateful that the Taliban decided not to chuck rockets in our general direction tonight.  Those kind of fireworks we can do without.

On the work side, I sent out a message to my overseers that the Portable Modular Data Center had achieved Initial Operating Capability.  I could have done it earlier, but I wanted to make a statement by doing it today.  I wanted to say to those in the rear, "Hey, while you're grilling burgers and drinking beer and watching fireworks, the team downrange is making progress and hoping the insurgents don't deliver their own little fireworks display."  I know, I can be a pompous jerk at times.  But that's what Bagram does to you.

Speaking of Bagram, I discovered this hilarious website, www.ilovebagram.com.  I've also posted it in the Links section at right.  Be forewarned, there are a lot of crude, sometimes downright disgusting things listed among the 700-plus reasons why the site owner and contributors love Bagram.  But, once you get past the sexual and bodily-function comments, you can get a sense of some of the tedium and ludicrousness that contributes to the daily routine here.  Read at your own risk.

Happy Independence Day, dear readers.  Be safe ... we're trying our darnedest to be safe as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment