Sunday, July 10, 2011

More Introspection


Yesterday, I posted some comments about the start of a good day.  And that good day continued.  Might have had something to do with the fact that my departure date is now less than five weeks away.

It was also enhanced by a long talk over a good cigar with a fellow BOTL, or Brother of the Leaf.  He’s just passing through, awaiting a flight to Kabul, where he’ll be working in my old shop, the Knowledge Management Cell at IJC.  He’s also the guy I referenced yesterday, who was so kind as to bring me a stash of cigars.

Let’s call him … Daniel, or Dan for short.  When Dan decided to deploy, he surfed the web looking for info on life downrange.  He found this blog, and has been a faithful follower ever since.  He told me he appreciated the objective, sometimes brutally frank assessments of the life of a civilian deploying into a war zone.  He also mentioned that he … and his wife, who also reads the musings of the Wirehead … was a little apprehensive about my comments on Man-Love Thursday.  I was sorely tempted to tell him that, as the FNG, it was his turn in the barrel.  But my better instincts took hold, and he breathed a heavy sigh of relief when I told him it was really just a way for those of us who served in a real military service to rag on the Air Force people around us.

So, harkening back to the Godfather of Soul, I still feel good ... I knew that I would.  I’m ecstatic that this blog, rather than just being a vanity memoir, has actually served a useful purpose.

Oh, almost forgot to mention … last night was pizza night again.  We got the grill back on a loaner basis.  Courtesy of a CARE package, we had some good pizza sauce, mushrooms, and a sprinkling of oregano.  Artichokes and anchovies are coming in a forthcoming package.  Here’s a pic of my pizza; I thought to photograph it only after I’d wolfed down the first big wedge.

  
Yep, those are jalapeno slices on the 'za.

No comments:

Post a Comment