Sunday, July 24, 2011

Heat


Yeah, I know it’s hot back home.  I watch the weather in NYC, Annapolis, DC and Bushkill PA.  And it’s not just the heat, it’s the humidity that makes life miserable.

It’s hot here too … we’ve probably had two solid months of days with high temps in the 90s.  On the plus side, as they life to say in the American Southwest, it’s a dry heat.  Example – yesterday I hit the gym, which consists of two tents strung together with free weights and some machines inside.  It took nine minutes on the stationary bike before I even broke a sweat.  I think the perspiration is evaporating upon exposure to the air.  I sucked down my bottle of water faster than usual, but to no effect.  A second bottle of water, then a GatorAde, and I was finally feeling less dehydrated.

Grill availability issues preempted pizza night, but cigar night kicked off at 8PM.  The temp dropped enough, and the wind wasn’t howling, so “a good time was had by all.”  The DISO Chief, an Army SF colonel, joined the party, along with some folks from other agencies located here on Area 82.  I started the night with a Bahia red-label maduro and, as the night was still going strong, I followed up with a big-ass Cruzeros, which is a low-priced overrun from the Pleiades line.  Pleiades is a fairly mild Dominican blend, so I was able to get through two sticks with no ill effects … first time I’ve done that out here.

It was time to leave, however, when the last few smokers realized they were all veterans of the 82nd Airborne Division.  After 30-45 minutes of jump stories and war stories and the relative merits of different types of chutes and how young privates aren’t getting trained adequately … well, you get the picture.  I'm just not a "Hooah" kind of guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment