Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekends Doings at BAF


Last night was pizza night.  Mine was especially good, topped with sliced artichoke bottoms and anchovies, all sent in CARE packages from my beloved.  Those anchovies were a fishy Nirvana … so full of flavor, flavor I haven’t enjoyed since I arrived in-theater.  I may just sit and eat the second tin all by itself.

After pizza, a few of us gathered for a cigar.  Not a huge crowd, but a tight one.  My stick of choice was an Illusione 4/2g, a delightfully rich and full-bodied Nicaraguan puro.  This box-pressed beauty lasted nearly two hours!

As we smoked away, one of our newer arrivals told me, “Sir, we’ve decided that you can’t be the only ‘Tom Selleck’ here anymore.”  Then he rattled off the names of those men in my team who are challenging my mustache supremacy.  I was quite flattered … nobody has ever compared me to Tom Selleck before.

This morning, after my Sunday morning Skype date with my beloved, I took my time getting into the office.  I got in late enough to miss the team breakfast run, so I grabbed a vehicle and scooted over to Green Beans for my MOAC.  As I approached the counter, I realized yet again that I’ve been here too long.  One of the fellows who works in the back waved at me, I nodded, and he started fixing my MOAC.  When I got to the counter, the young lady asked, “MOAC with cream?”  When they recognize me and start fixing my drink before I’ve even ordered, it’s time to leave.

And, if my plan comes to fruition, I’ll be leaving on a jet plane in 26 days.

As the Army guys say a lot here … “Hooah!”  Although I much prefer Al Pacino’s pronunciation in Scent of a Woman.

1 comment:

  1. I was quite flattered … nobody has ever compared me to Tom Selleck before.

    Are you sure you know which team Tom plays for???

    (hee hee hee - my word to type to post is tombi)

    I sailed with him on the Reagan, when he had just played Ike, (and had no cookie duster) and they had him judge the Reagan's "Cheesy Mustache Competition".

    ReplyDelete