Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Gong Show Redux


Yesterday, we checked out of Heidelburg and hit the road for Nuremburg.  Three hours on a train (well, actually, two trains, as we had to change trains in Stuttgart), and we arrived at Nuremburg's Hauptbahnhof.  After checking into the hotel, we did a quick familiarization tour of the Altstadt.  We eventually made our way to a nearby restaurant for dinner, where I had a delicious hunk of oh-so-tender roast pork shoulder, and Jeanne had a local traditional dish, a cold platter of meat, cheese and vegetables that, to my untrained eye, seemed to have an awful lot of radishes on it.

But, as good as the food was, it wasn't the high point of our dining experience.  No, my friends, it was the entertainment.  Because we were treated to a Bavarian duet on guitar and accordion doing medleys of popular tunes.  Imagine, if you will or, dare I say, if you can), Somewhere Over the Rainbow performed on an accordion with Teutonic flair.  Their rendition of the Beatles' Yesterday was equally touching.

Reach back into your history lessons and recall that this part of Germany was to the Nazis what Helmand Province is to the Taliban ... a spiritual heartland.  So it was that, after a few tunes a la accordion, I felt like getting up and marching around, singing the Horst Wessel Lied.  It was scary, trying to keep from channeling my inner Dr. Strangelove as I drank pints of pilsner and fantasized about crushing democracies everywhere.

And now the really scary part ... every neo-Nazi nimrod who Googles certain search phrases is going to get pointed to this blog.

Just before sitting down to write this, I downloaded 116 photos from my digital camera.  So, as soon as I sift through them, I'll start posting pics of the trip.  Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment