Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Road

I continue my journey home.  After a ten-hour delay, I finally hopped a C-17 Saturday night, and departed Bagram shortly after midnight.  After a three-and-a-half hour flight, and accounting for the time zone shift, we landed around 2AM.  After doing the immigration processing and clearing Qatari customs not once, but twice (once shortly after getting off the plane, the second time leaving Al Udeid Airbase), I got to my transient quarters around 4AM and immediately collapsed.

After a couple hours of shuteye, I dragged myself into a vertical position and wandered around a bit.  The quarters are rather Spartan "cells" with three beds per room, with four or five rows of about thirty rooms each inside a vast warehouse.  The most immediate change I noticed was the humidity.  It's easily as hot here as at BAF, but the humidity is way up there, so it's a sticky heat.  I suffered though it long enough to find the Green Beans coffee shop, where I indulged in my morning MOAC.  And a big-ass sugar donut, my first such indulgence in nearly six months.  Nothing like a massive cafeine ingestion to make you feel human again.

Maybe tomorrow morning I'll hit the DFAC and grab my last meaningful Ramadan Trifecta breakfast sandwich.

Tonight, I get to turn in all my gear, then do medical and psych out-processing tomorrow.  Other than that, I'm on my own.  Not that there's a whole lot to do here.  Got a couple co-workers to look up, maybe go out on the town for a bite to eat tonight.  Otherwise, I begin the decompression process so I can be feeling a bit more relaxed and able to enjoy my post-deployment vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment