Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Readjustment


Readjustment to life in CONUS has been problematic at time for our troops.  The stresses of combat and life on the edge can make it tough to transition to life with the wife and kids, and PTSD can make things downright unbearable for some.  Having spent six months in the rear with the gear, not having toted a gun and chased bad guys, I don’t foresee having massive readjustment issues when I redeploy.  However, I suspect I’ll have a few small issues to cope with.

Things I’ll have trouble adjusting to:
  • Holding a conversation without dropping the F-bomb
  • Holding a conversation not laced with acronyms and jargon
  • Paying for a bottle of water
  • Commuting to the DIAC
  • Wearing a suit and tie instead of cargo pants, boots and a polo shirt
  • Beltway REMFs who don’t understand that DIA is a Combat Support Agency
  • Weekends off

But on the plus side, there are many things I’m eagerly anticipating.  They can be roughly categorized as family, friends, and creature comforts.

Things I’m really looking forward to: (except for #1, in no particular order)
  • Curling up with my beloved
  • Brewing a pot of Ethiopian Sidamo to start the morning
  • Steak, medium-rare
  • Craft-brewed beer
  • Sushi
  • Taking the Black Beast onto US 50 and winding it up to just under the State Troopers’ radar threshold
  • Trimming a jib
  • Hanging out and holding court at Davidus
  • Brunello di Montalcino
  • Draper’s Little Puff (I already have my ticket reserved!)
  • The Oyster Riot
  • Weekends off

No comments:

Post a Comment