Thursday, August 11, 2011

Things I’ve Been Grateful For


No man is an island, contrary to Paul Simon’s plaintive assertions.  No man stands alone.  The past six months would have been a grinding existence, mere subsistence, had it not been for the support I’ve received.

When I arrived in-theater, I got thrown into the deep end of the pool.  No time to get settled in or acclimatized, I got off the plane in KAIA and got to work.  Within days of taking over as chief of the IJC Knowledge Management Cell, I found myself getting my ass chewed by an O-6 for the first time in 30 years.  Not since I was on the bridge of a warship, as a young Lieutenant and Officer of the Deck, had I so incurred the wrath of a senior officer.  It was a tough slog and a steep learning curve, but folks like John D. and Kathryn and Keon helped me keep my head above water and my spirits out of the dumper.

At Bagram, I inherited a similarly capable and professional crew.  A singularly shit-hot team, folks who will gladly work outside their comfort zone and do what it takes to accomplish the mission.  They talk a lot of smack and engage in the silliest antics (At this point, your honor, I’d like to submit Exhibit A, the female cartoon character mud wrestling debate.).  But when work needs to get done, be it a new installation or O&M, they’re on it, working until the problem is fixed.  I’d be proud to serve with them again … just not in Afghanistan.

Most important, my bride.  She’s borne the burden of separation like a real trooper.  Didn’t grouse or complain.  Kept the household running like a fine Swiss watch.  Juggled work and the EYC board and racing a J/24 without once dropping a ball.  Completely redid the master bath all by herself.  Kept the Black Beast running (despite her initial aversion to driving a car so big and unwieldy).  Did all the research and made all the reservations for our post-deployment vacation.  Humored me and all my silly requests for things to include in CARE packages.  Did everything in her power to keep my morale up, including sending batch upon batch of marvelous cookies.

One last item.  A year ago, given my back problems, I never would have thought I’d be capable of deploying.  Thanks to a miraculous and minimally-invasive procedure performed last August at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, I’ve been physically able to perform everything I’ve need to do.  I’ve been able to scurry about with 40 pounds of body armor with no ill effects.  I’ve been able to stay active and lose weight.  All because a very skilled neurosurgeon gave me the Bionic Back.  Thanks, Doc!

No comments:

Post a Comment