Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nuremberg

Well, good tourists that we are, we traipsed all over Nuremberg over the past 24 hours or so.  We did the highlights of the imperial castle last night before enjoying the repast over which I waxed eloquent in yesterday's post.  Today, after a walking tour of the Altstadt, we hopped a bus out to the complex where the nazis used to hold their annual party gatherings.  This was Triumph of the Will in full 1:1 scale.  After doing the interactive museum part, we strolled around the grounds.  The congress hall was empty, unfinished, huge, massive, and utterly underwhelming as architecture goes.  The Teutonic boys get no points for imaginative or inspiring buildings.  Another part of the complex serves as the home of the Nuremberg Symphony.  And the vast open areas are now used for recreation.  And a site for the carnival that's setting up.

Having skipped lunch, we arrived in the main market area of the Altstadt, and I was hungry.  So hungry, in fact, that I did the unthinkable.  I are sushi from a vendor in a trailer in the market area.  Yeah, I know, many of you shudder at the idea of Korean sushi.  How about Korean sushi (I know it was Korean because they also sold kimchi) made in the heart of Germany?  I played it safe with a California-esque roll.  How badly can you screw up cucumber, avocado and fake crabmeat?  So, having set my expectations very low, I was in fact pleasantly surprised.  While certainly not the best sushi I've ever had, it was also far from the worst.

To make up for that, we hit a wurst place for dinner.  It's been peddling sausage in one location or another since 1419, so I figured it ought to be decent.  So we had plates of little Nuremberg bratwurst (little bigger than American breakfast sausages) with sauerkraut and potato salad.  Again, we went down the path of hearty German food rather than haute cuisine, but we left happy and well-fed.

Tomorrow, we tour the rest of the castle, then board the cruise ship.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment