Monday, August 8, 2011

More Random Thoughts


Today is Day 176 of my deployment.  Amazing … I still remember my arrival in the AOR so vividly, even though I was dealing with the double whammy of jet lag and sleep deprivation.  And now, here I am, five days from popping smoke.  Now, rather than dealing with jet lag and sleep deprivation, I’m just feeling a bit spaced and worn out.  And that’s a dangerous time for me, that’s when I do my worst stream-of-consciousness rambling.  For example …

Saturday morning (in the wee hours), we had another IDF attack.  I don’t know how many rockets hit, or where they impacted.  I only know that our NCO came banging on my door around 2:30 AM to ensure we had 100% accountability of all personnel.  I eventually woke up, answered the door, grunted in his general direction, then promptly went back to sleep.  Then I woke up thinking … what if that was the last rocket attack during my deployment, and I SLEPT THROUGH IT!!!

To do a 180, from light-hearted to dead serious, we were all devastated here by the loss of a Chinook helo loaded to the gills with SEALs.  Thirty of America’s finest youth, snuffed out with a single RPG shot.  I briefly wondered why I didn’t go into one of my signature f-bombing rants at tragic loss of life.  But the reality is, this is war, and young men and women will die.  That’s what war is all about.  Sad, but not unexpected.

My rants, on the other hand, have been triggered by stupid stuff back home.  Judges out of touch with reality, or religious “leaders” who pervert their faith with hate.  In retrospect, my episodes of righteous anger on the job have been inspired by stupid or negligent stunts in Tampa or DC.  This tour has made me much less tolerant of people who, through stupidity or malice, impede the mission.  My attitude towards slackers may make for a bit of a rough landing back inside the Beltway.  Only time will tell.

More to follow …

No comments:

Post a Comment